Saturday, August 30, 2014

Off and Running

Hello again everyone!!

Well, the semester is in full swing now.  I don't know about you but I sure could use a break already.  ; )

So far the no textbook situation has been working out very well!!!!  The students have been responsive and most things have worked out as I have planned. 

I have been keeping notes for myself after each class as to what worked and does not need to be modified and what worked but could probably be better.  I am planning to spend some time over winter break to make some alterations before doing the course again in the spring.  This will also create a way for me to assess some things from one semester to another.

Week one was fairly typical, we did syllabus reviews and then had some discussion about what it would be like to be in a textbook free environment.  During week 2 we jumped in head first.  Although it has only been two class sessions I have only had 2 assignments that were not completed as required and that is out of 100.  If that successful completion rate continues throughout the semester I will be very happy and impressed. 

Perhaps the most interesting thing to me at this point is that I have not heard students complaining about the work load.  The discussions in class have been fruitful and the reviews of class have been nothing but positive.  I hope that this is an indicator of how things are going to go all semester long.

More updates to come as the semester progresses.  Hope all is going well for you!!  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment